Calling all Paradiso Passionate Sewists.......

 Paradiso Passionate Sewist No. 1...........

Yep, starting something new here @ PD
I am celebrating the people that have used my sewing patterns!
I am celebrating the people 
that love to sew/create as much as I do!!

One of my goals with Paradiso Sewing Patterns 
is to open sewists up to different kinds of sewing....
where they can take command and have fun with my designs,
AND make it their own!!
Be inspired to try new things out.
And it is fun to see what kind of sewing is going on 
out there in the big wild world!

YES.......you have sewing in the bag!!


The first profile........BIANCA


is passionate!!

As life would have it I met Bianca at 
The International Quilt Festival.
She stopped to shop at my booth, and I loved her dress that she was wearing, that she of course made.
You know when you meet someone that has the same drive as you do to sew and create......and you could talk forever about your "passion"?
All I can say is incredible wife, mom (yep 2 kids), 
maker and business woman

Check-out this cool bias tape dress she made.
After seeing that...I knew Bianca had sewing super powers to say the least!!

Bianca jumped into using my Boho Frock and Boho Fock Diversion/Hack Pattern Duo (buy them here) to create a one of a kind dress.
I love when we can reuse/repurpose materials.
I was so blown away by what Bianca did...it was very unexpected.  Here is her Paradiso Boho Frock story:

There was a beautiful table cloth....all on its own!


And the it became a Boho Frock, but then so much more....


This is the result.......



Bianca decided to hit the dye bath one more time to achieve the look she was looking for....
I believe she did it!!



Did you notice Bianca's style....the gladiator sandals, the jewelry, the hair....all boho chic! 



I was impressed by the pattern piece fussy-cutting on the table cloth to achieve this precise lace placement.  Look at those sleeves...


And here is a closeup of the hem....


I had Bianca fill-out the Paradiso Passionate Sewist Quiz.
You can learn about her process of sewing/creating right here:

How long have you been sewing?
I have been exposed to sewing all of my life and sewed necessary items such as uniforms, costumes for school and home décor items. I did not begin sewing for fun until about seven years ago when I had my first child. I wanted unique clothes for her and did not want to spend the high cost of buying them.

What was the first thing you sewed with your own hands?
The first thing I sewed with my own hands was harlequin clown costume. I was in a clown troupe in high school that performed in schools, churches and at parties. As we gained popularity, I wanted another costume to change up my character’s personality. It had a poet shirt and polka dot pants with a ruffle hem. 

When did you realize that you are passionate about sewing, and please describe that particular event of when you knew?
I knew I was passionate about sewing when I saw my daughter proudly wear the first dress I made her. She was excited to watch the dress-making process and was thrilled to wear her one of a kind dress. She looked so happy and proud of me!

What is your very favorite kind of fabric to work with?
I really enjoy working with vintage or repurposed fabrics. I like the idea of giving new life to materials that are no longer current or useful. A benefit of sewing is knowing that I never fall victim to wearing what another person is wearing. Using out of print fabric or transforming fabric in some way, further ensures against this. When I cannot find those, I often choose fabric with a bold, vibrant prints. I often shop in the home décor section looking for them. In addition to the print selection, the weight gives added structure to the Mod shift dresses I love.

What is your machine & serger that you sew on?
I use a Brother brand sewing machine and serger on a daily basis. I have a heavy duty Singer backup machine and a Sailrite machine that I use for leather sewing.

Do you have a dedicated sewing space (which means the sewing machine never ever gets put away)?
I have a sewing room in my home. It used to be a guest bedroom, but our overnight quests usually visit 3-4 times per year.  It did not make sense to make a permeant decision for a temporary situation. When I decided to sew more frequently, we converted the room for me. My sewing volume and quality greatly improved once I had a place dedicated to it.

What do you enjoy sewing most?
I enjoy the creative beginnings of a sewing project. I like imagining the possibilities of what a pattern or fabric will become. I enjoy fabric manipulation, playing with textures, reimagining one thing into another. I am a sewing gambler. I like to take risks, try new things and hope for the best. I love the moment before pulling the zipper closed on a completed garment. I love the moment of taking fabric out of the dyebath and cutting the rubber bands away anticipation of what it will be. I enjoy most of all when a gamble pays off. 

How do you make time to sew?
I make time to sew by setting realistic expectations and breaking the tasks into manageable parts. I would love to make a garment in one sitting, but when that is not possible, I tackle one thing at a time and return to it when I can. I also include my kids in sewing tasks. My 7-year old cuts out my pattern papers and chooses her fabrics. My 4-year old likes to “drive” the machine with the foot pedal. Both are developing a passion for sewing and enjoy spending time with me that way.  

Do you follow patterns OR do you tweak the design to suit you?
I do a bit of both depending on the complexity of the pattern and material I am working with.

What other kinds of crafty goodness do you employ to be on your list of crafty ways?  
And do they intersect with your sewing endeavors? I have dabbled in metal-smith jewelry-making and hand-built ceramic making. In both of those crafty ways, I played with texture, experimentation and the addition of unexpected materials. Because of the time commitment required, they do not intercept with sewing much. Sewing allows me to be creative in my home in a clean, nonhazardous, kid-friendly environment. At their root, they all possess the same promise; transforming a potentially mundane raw materials into something marvelous. 

What Paradiso Sewing Pattern did you sew and how did it turn out?  Please tell us of any changes you made.
I made the Boho Frock + the Boho Frock Diversion/Hack Patterns and it turned out as wonderful as expected. I used a vintage cotton and lace tablecloth as my fabric and I colored the constructed dress with fabric dye. I made the dress in size small without diversion. I am a typical “big 4” pattern company sewist. I like that I know what to expect and there is no learning curve. I rarely buy independent patterns because of the learning and fit curve. My vintage and current pattern collection is vast decreasing my willingness to try independent pattern companies.
When I saw the Boho Frock pattern, I loved the uniqueness of the sizing, variations on length and versatility of accented details.  I suspended all my lazy person prohibitions to independent pattern companies in making this dress and I am glad I did. The learning and fit curve is very low and this dress was a delight to make.

What is your next project that you will be working on? 
We have wedding to attend in 5 days. Maybe, I can make a dress for my daughter and a pair of pants for my son. We will see…

Bianca lives in Houston and she does fabulous custom work, visit her blog to contact her to create something wonderful for you!!

This link will take you to her Etsy store to shop her creations:

I am looking for other passionate sewists to share their stories.
If you are interested and would like to join
please contact me @
serviceatparadisodesigns(dot)com
(trying to advoid the bots)


Happy Memorial Day;
To all of those that have served our citizens of the country & the great US of A.

Peace out, xo, cheryl





Comments

John Carter said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Carter said…
Damn that color, in love with it, which sewing machine according to you is the best.?