Retro Granny What????

So....I have been thinking about design and what I have been up to in the last year.  One of my new patterns that I released in February of this year was the Retro Granny Skirt formula!  I was inspired by a skirt made out of Men's 501 Levis.  Everyone has done it starting back in the 60s.  I really wanted to give sewers the ability to make a great fitting skirt that shows their body.  I have loved Men's Levi 501s since I was in high school.  I totally dug patching them back then.  I use to take the side seam out so that I could top-stitch all the patches on at once.

Now, I love the idea of upcycling...going to Value Village to shop...I am amazed at what can be found there!!  I have found a great selection of 501s.  It is so yummy to find well-worn pocket edges...a wallet worn spot on the back pocket... holes in the knee! fabulously authentic finishes,  and the best part is the button-up fly!!!

So, I came up with this idea to make a fitted skirt with the side ruffle panels, and big slits in the front and back so that walking is easy.  The pattern also includes instructions to make a just below the knee length skirt too.

This is the long version, I used 10 different fabrics for the ruffles!


I used 6 fabrics for the shorter skirt!!  FYI,  both these are from the French General Collection by Moda Fabrics.  The French General fabric line is designed by Karri Meng for United notions.  Karri was inspired by vintage french linens in designing this collection!

Hey, gotta give a shout out to my girl Steph for being the best model around!   A gazillon thank-yous!

I love how the skirt came out...but like any fussy designer, and I feel there is room for improvement.  I am thinking about this as i will becoming up with a more bohemian version of the Retro Granny Skirt.  I am thinking a lot of deconstruction is in order........yes, yes...unfinished edges....to be continued...

Check out the super cool adventures in dressmaking blog by my new sewing friend Suzannah!  I just became a sponsor on her blog, and we are doing a Paradiso Designs pattern giveaway, just leave a comment on her blog dated June 16th, 2010.

have a great Sunday...if it is raining just remember Raining=Sew Rama Baby!!

Comments

knittingrid said…
Can't wait to see the bohemian version!