I am the luckiest girl.....I get to sew on a Bernina 780!!!

Early last spring this Lovely Lady Jeanne C. Delpit (she plans and runs the Bernina Booth at events such as The International Quilt Market and Festival)at Bernina informed me that I was going to be a Bernina Artisan!!

I was soooo happy!!  I had researched the Bernina machines to figure out what model I would LOVE to work with.  I was trying to decide between the 580 and the 780.  I ultimately decided to work with the B780 Bernina.

This is one powerful machine with an engine that works through layers of thick fabric, and even pleather/vinyl that I frequently use to sew the straps for my line of Paradiso sewing patterns, and I will show you a few cool things about it!!

So.....get ready for a light show when it turns on!!
I decided to jump on the Sew Mama Sews sewing machine review......so here are a few more facts about the Bernina B780

Sewing Machine Reviews

What brand and model do you have?
     Bernina B780
How long have you had it?
     7 months
How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
     Around $8000.00
What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
     I sew anything and everything.....and any fabric, faux fur, faux leather, pleather, vinyl, cottons, every knit available, nylon, really heavy canvas, upholstery, etc, etc.
How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
     I sew almost every single day....so a lot of sewing for my work as a pattern designer!!
Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate?
     I really had to get use to the machine especially the needle up/down, and the presser foot up/down too...it was easier then I thought!
Does she have a name?
     No.
What features does your machine have that work well for you?
     The dual feed that allows me to sew most types of pleather and vinyl without a specialty foot.....yeah!!
Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
     Figuring out something that I cannot find frantically in the     manual....gotta be smarter then the machine, gotta be smarter then the machine.....
Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
Do you have a dream machine?
     This is it!!
    
Bonus: Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!  Bonus story is at the top of the post!!


The B780 is not only a full service machine, but it comes with an embroidery unit too....I love it because now I can make lace (future post), which is one of my favorite embellishments!!
I also got a ton of sewing feet, and the stitch regulator when free motion stitching, this is very important for quilting......and I like to write messages with it too!!
I really like sewing with my 780 because it sews well, and I like the way it handles....kinda like when you drive a car and you can drive it easily.....you can sew easily here!
See that white stick...it is an oil pen...genius!!
This is a 9mm foot..... with a lot of room to cover and to feed more of the fabric evenly, and the 780 makes BIG decorative stitches, and I am having a ball with them!!  This feature was a huge surprise!  Look for a future post on how this works, because  the foot actually moves side to side as it stitches the oversized designs!

 The Little Engine that could provides a dual feed.....meaning I can stitch on pleather with ease, and I do not generally need a special foot for it.  Also the stitching is more even, and looks very clean.  It gives the straps the look of being machined professionally in a factory.....but I did it myself!
I have sewn pleather with other machines...but the 780 allows me to sew thicker pleathers easily, not something I could always do before.
Check-out the clean & outstanding line of stitching the 780 does on pleather.  
Here is the decorative stitches menu....stuff I did not even know existed!
1-It does take time to learn to use the button to lift the pressure foot and needle.  But it took less time then I thought to get use to it. I still to this day hold my threads always when ever I stitch, as I have sometimes had a birds nest when I did not hold the threads and even put my needle down before starting to sew.  Even as I was told I did not need to do this...I do it. 
 
2-The 780 has huge spools can take a lot of thread, so get use to being able to sew for a much longer time with out having to reload the bobbin.
I recommend turning the bobbin sensor off, because it will signal that the bobbin needs to be refilled way before it does.  So just be sure to check the bobbin ever so often.
3-  There is so much room to work on bigger projects like quilts, but also bags, or jackets that need room to be sewn.
4- Take time to learn your machine...even with all of my years of sewing, I certainly do not know everything...even if there are times that I think I do.  And it will be the kind of things that are common sense, but in the moment...can be very frustrating.  Take a moment, an hour, or even a day to rest then come back.  One time I could not figure out the that decorative stitch I wanted to do had to be done with a certain foot...duh!
5- I have never done embroidery....but I have now....and I love making lace....and I took the time to figure out how to get the most number of lace pieces per clear stabilizer.
6- I did not think I needed a top of the line machine, but I have to tell you that I do not regret getting the Bernina 780.  I have learned so many different ways to use it, and I know that this is just the tip of the iceberg!!  If you have the ability to invest for yourself, please do!!
 
xo, SEw-Rama, Cheryl

Comments

Silkylace said…
Thank you for sharing your experience with the 780. I am tormenting myself trying to decide between a Viking Ruby Deluxe and the 780. If not for the price-I'm not fully convinced I have to spend nearly $10,000.00 in order to get a top-of-the-line machine-I'd purchase the 780.The 780's interface is so easy to navigate and it sewing beautifully. Unfortunately, I've read more negative reviews about the 780 than positive ones. Are you still happy with the machine?